Love, Certainly



Hannah Torchio
Mr. Schwager
AP English 405
10 March 2014
CWP: Quarter 3 - It’s Love
            Perplexed, Emma looked up from what had brought her so much joy, so much laughter, and so much comfort in the past two weeks. Her cheeks became wet with tears, and she shook her head, and put her cell phone down. She discovered what she was holding onto wasn’t only her mode of communication but it was also the relationship she held so dear. Cell phones, she learned, could really connect two people, especially when the two people have unlimited text plans, like she and Ben did. A relationship that starts with the touching of the screen, could surely end with the absence of these touches. And it did. This is what made Emma cry, while feeling betrayed and quite bewildered. They had such a strong connection, she thought. They both had 3G. But when she puts the joking aside, she really did wonder what could have gone wrong. They texted each other almost every minute, and he would always say sorry if he didn’t text back within a ten minute time span.
            Now, Sitting alone, she decided to put down her phone; to not think about it, because it has been an hour and fifty-three minutes since she last heard from him, and his last text was “ Haha..Yeah.” She can’t help but feel like he’s keeping something from her with that kind of text. Or maybe he’s just not interested at all. This thought makes her even more upset. With each growing minute, she is thinking back on all of the wonderful conversations they have shared, and all of the wonderful emoji’s they have laughed about. Her friends have even told her that she has began to text like him. She began to think back to earlier conversations:
            “He’s just so cute. The other day, I asked him if he could be anywhere in the entire universe, where it would be, and he said with me. How crazy is that? If he could be anywhere! I couldn’t believe it. I couldn’t stop going back to look at that text. He always knows how to make me smile.” Emma giggled as she told Allison, her best friend.
            “Wow. What a guy.” Allison casually looked out the window as Emma talked to hear ear.
            “ He is so intelligent, too! How can somebody so cute be so smart at the same time? It’s like, impossible, isn’t it? Well, I thought so, too, before I met Ben. He told me the other day that he got an A on his Physics test. He also sometimes helps me with my homework, like, one time he texted me the answers to a human anatomy diagram. I can’t believe that Marissa and Jared actually have to talk on the phone to discuss their homework. Maybe they need to learn from us, ya know? I just can’t believe how amazing Ben is. I really can’t. On Valentines day, he sent me an emoji of a heart with an arrow through it. I texted him a row of hearts after that, because, how much more thoughtful could he have been, right? I do feel bad, though, because sometimes I fall asleep on him.” She exhaled, as she picked up her phone to text Ben back.
            Emma never wanted to make Allison jealous of their relationship, but at times, it seemed as if Allison was getting a bit jealous of their obvious chemistry and lasting relationship.
            “ Emma, if he says he’d be with you over anywhere in the world, why doesn’t he ever hang out with you? You guys just text all the time. You don’t even talk at school. Don’t you think that’s a little strange?” There Allison goes again, Emma thought, she is so jealous.
            “Do you even hear yourself right now? We’re in love, Allison. Can you just be a good friend and tell me how wonderful he is? Oh my gosh.. when he first told me he loved me -”
            “ Since when have you loved him? Was this before or after your first date?” Allison was no longer looking idly out the window.
            “ Oh, you know we haven’t been on a date yet! But, I know him so well. We each ask each other questions, and so basically, I know everything I could know about him. So naturally, I love him. What’s not to love? When he said he loved me, he put two hearts next to it. Two hearts! Two is always better than one, don’t you think? And three is probably over doing it. Oh, it was just so sweet. I can’t believe he  would love me!”
            In the morning, Emma woke up and instantly went to her messages on her cell phone. She was going to wait for him to text her first, but just couldn’t wait any longer. Usually he texts her at 6:56 but it was already 6:58 so she sent him a text that read “Good morning, can’t believe you overslept!” A text from him always gets her day started in the best way she can imagine. As Emma arrives at school, she sees him with his friends. As she gets closer, her head starts racing. What can she say? There must be something to say.
            “ Hi Ben!” She smiles and waves.
He smiles back.
            “Hey Emma.”
“Well,” she thinks to herself, “that was nice. I guess I’ll keep walking. Maybe he will text me at break.”
            At break, she looks over at him, and sees him looking at his phone, but why isn’t he texting her? She can see him, standing there, and he isn’t texting her. He was just across the cafe, almost close enough to see the screen of his phone, but he wasn’t texting her. She begins to worry. If he loves her so much, she thinks, why isn’t he going to text her? This, Emma feels, is the most absurd situation.
            “How do you know he isn’t texting other girls at the same time?” Allison asked Emma one day in the middle of psychology class.
            “ Are you serious? Because he loves me. He put two hearts next to it, I thought I told you that already. Two hearts, Allison. Two. Geeze.” Emma rolled her eyes and turned her attention back to the board.
            But now, Emma is sitting there, back in reality, having put her phone down, she tries to think about something else. Two weeks ago, Ben wasn’t a part of her life. What was life like back then? Before the long conversations about what they were doing at the moment, or the back and forth questioning about their favorite colors; she couldn’t remember. She just knew it was disappearing before her very eyes. One hundred and thirteen minutes had gone by. She put her face in her hands, and began to weep.
            *Ding*
Her face lit up as she went to respond to her text. In his apology, there were three hearts. Three. Emma knew he must have really meant it.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment