Poets in the Poetry Santa Cruz Anthology, 2016


Vile Tree

You are your Vile Tree.
Walking a little too tall, too straight
yet sedentary. 
You water it- habitually, constantly,
quenching thirst.
Nurtured by the most caring of hands,
yours.
Roots digging deeper with every thought
of its beauty, this Vile Tree.
Head held too high. Reaching its limbs
above our heads, missing the Heavens.
Rough edges built up,
more and more layers with each year,
smother the once selfless sprout.
Infinitely, more engrained in you
Your Vile Tree becomes.

                   -- Kimberly Sabsay


__________________________________



Miscarriage.

I smiled, 
for the man I loved
had given me a plant.

It grew for two months in secret,
but something happened,
unplanned.

I had a dream, 
a nightmare of sorts,
that the plant got no sun.

And therefore,
the secret two month life
of my plant was done.

I screamed aloud,
because this plant
had really grown on me.

It was a surprise,
yes of course.
But it made me happy.

The screams awoke me,
and I looked down,
but I did not cry at the blood.

God had told me already,
and I am telling you.
The life of my plant was done. 

                    -- Domenica Adamson


__________________________________



The Silent War

He left red scars
on my skin.
His words, smeared like blood,
across my soul.
The knives he left in my back,
he continued to twist.
This silent war raged on.

I hid my pain
beneath baggy sweaters
and processed beauty.
Clinging to the life I had left,
I watched as the rest crumbled
under his weight.
His army grew, mine dwindled.

Casualties from these battles
took their place
under six feet of dirt.
Whether by rope or razor,
he beat them down until
only brokenness remained.
Even the strongest soldiers feared him.

I trudged on
in this endless war;
a pointless effort it seemed.
But at last my tour was over.
I still have my battles to fight…
they come few and far in between,
but still he keeps his grip on me.

                     -- Shelby Baronia


Congratulations, ladies!

No comments:

Post a Comment