Wednesday, 9/30/15: Now You Can All Come to Our Chesterton Meeting On Thursday, No?



* Open
  • Per. 1; I need to check your note cards. 
ignominious (adj.) 
  • disgraceful, shameful, contemptible
Etymology:
  • from Latin ignominia "loss of a (good) name" 
    • in- "not, opposite of" 
    • nomen "name"

Examples (copy #1):
1. Crucifixion was an ancient mode of capital punishment considered especially ignominious to the Romans.  

2. "I was cleaning out the pigsty at a farm in Wales, where my mother had rented a room, when the results of my final school exam were handed to me by the postman, along with the news that I had a state scholarship to Oxford. I had waited for this letter for so many weeks that I had abandoned hope, deciding that I had failed ignominiously."  -- Nina Bawden

Now, create your own sentence (with an introductory phrase or clause).
* Homework Update (due to the SAT; email sent)

SGGK

  • Part III Scenes
* Read and Annotate Part IV

HW: Read and Annotate Part IV



No comments:

Post a Comment